Soubise Sauce RecipeThe Soubise Sauce is a classic cream sauce for vegetables made by sautéeing onions and then puréeing them before adding to a basic Béchamel sauce.
The Soubise Sauce is an excellent accompaniment for vegetables, eggs or chicken.
Note: For a simple variation on the classic soubise sauce, add some tomato purée to the sauce just before serving (see below).
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb onions, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 quart Béchamel sauce
- 2 cups tomato purée (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onions until soft and translucent, but don't let them turn brown.
- Transfer cooked onions to a food processor. Purée briefly and then return them to the pot.
- Whisk the Béchamel into the puréed onions and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add optional tomato purée and serve right away.