Cream Sauce Recipe
The Cream Sauce (or Crème Sauce) is a the original classic cream sauce and one of the simplest variations on the Béchamel sauce.
Because it's so simple, it really comes down to seasoning. And of course, it helps if you've made a good Béchamel to start with. As for the cream, for some reason, organic cream seems to have a better flavor, so that's what I use.
Also, since the sauce itself is very much on the white side, I like to add some sort of chopped herbs at the end, just for interest. But this isn't strictly necessary.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups Béchamel sauce
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh herbs (such as chives or parsley) (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the Béchamel until it comes to a simmer.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the cream gently to a simmer. Reduce by about one-quarter, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the hot cream into the Béchamel and serve right away.