Creamed Spinach RecipeThis creamed spinach recipe is luxuriously creamy and flavorful. It's also surprisingly simple: just spinach, butter, cream and parmesan cheese. Puréeing the spinach gives the dish the silky, velvety texture that makes it so satisfying.
Creamed spinach is a nice accompaniment for chicken and poultry dishes. It's absolutely amazing served with a roasted chicken.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 lbs baby spinach leaves, washed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 oz butter (½ stick)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot (such as an enameled Dutch oven), heat the spinach leaves over medium-high heat. You can add a small amount of water to the pot before adding the spinach, but as the liquid in the leaves cooks out, the leaves will steam in their own liquid. Stir with a wooden spoon to keep everything moving.
- As you cook it, the spinach will soften and turn a bright green color while reducing in volume quite dramatically. This might take 5 to 6 minutes or a bit longer.
- Plunge the cooked spinach leaves into a large bowl of ice water. This will stop the spinach from cooking and lock in that bright green color.
- Drain the ice water and squeeze the excess water from the spinach. Squeezing by hand, a handful at a time, is the best way to do this. You can transfer each squeezed handful directly into the bowl of your food processor, since the next step will be puréeing it.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream over medium heat. Let the cream reduce slightly while you're squeezing the spinach.
- Purée the spinach in a food processor until it's completely smooth.
- Return the puréed spinach to the pot and add the butter, cream and cheese. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until it's hot.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. Serve right away.