Meat Sauce RecipeThis classic Italian meat sauce is amazing for spaghetti and other pasta as well as lasagna. This meat sauce recipe is made with ground beef and pork for a rich, meaty flavor.
This meat sauce recipe calls for two 28-oz. cans of whole tomatoes, but you could substitute crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes or tomato purée.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 28-oz cans whole tomatoes, with liquid
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¾ lbs. ground beef
- ¾ lbs. ground pork
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 tsp dried basil (or to taste)
- 1 tsp dried parsley (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp sugar
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil for a minute over medium heat.
- Add the onions and carrots, and sauté for a bit until the onions are translucent but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce is slightly reduced. If you like, you can use a wooden spoon to break up the whole tomatoes while the sauce simmers.
- Meanwhile, brown the meat in a separate skillet in a small amount of oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove tomato sauce from heat and pass through a food mill, or purée in a food processor until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
- Return the sauce to the pot and add the browned meat along with the stock, wine and herbs. Simmer for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Adjust thickness with additional stock if desired. Season to taste with Kosher salt and sugar, and serve right away.