Sauce Robert Recipe
The Robert (pronounced "ro-BAIR") Sauce is a finished sauce made with onions, mustard and white wine simmered in a basic demi-glace
. The Sauce Robert is an ideal accompaniment for grilled pork and other meat dishes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 quart demi-glace
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon juice, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter and cook the onions until soft and translucent, but don't let them turn brown.
- Add the wine, heat until the liquid boils, lower the heat a bit and continue simmering until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds.
- Add the demi-glace, then lower heat to a simmer and reduce for about 10 minutes.
- Strain through a mesh strainer, add the mustard and the sugar-lemon mixture. Serve right away.
Makes about 1 quart of Robert Sauce.