Hungarian Sauce Recipe
The Hungarian Sauce is made by reducing white wine with sautéed onions and paprika, and then adding either chicken velouté
or veal velouté
sauce. The Hungarian Sauce is an ideal accompaniment for sautéed chicken.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 quart chicken velouté or veal velouté
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until it's frothy. Add the onions and paprika and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the velouté, return to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and reduce for about 10 additional minutes.
- Strain and serve right away.
Makes about 1 quart of Hungarian Sauce.