Au Jus RecipeAu jus is a simple sauce for roasted meats that is made from the meat's natural juices along with added stock. This au jus recipe is great for roast beef dishes like prime rib. But you can use this recipe to make au jus for roasted chicken, veal or lamb simply by substituting the appropriate stock for beef stock.
This au jus recipe assumes you have just roasted a large beef roast as it is made using the meat juices and the little roasty bits at the bottom of the roasting pan. Here's a traditional Prime Rib Recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups brown stock (i.e. beef stock)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- Reserved meat juices from roasting
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove the roast from the roasting pan and let it rest, covered with foil, on a cutting board someplace warm. If there is a lot of fat left in the pan, pour most of it off, but take care not to lose any of the meat juices.
- Place the roasting pan on the stovetop, across two burners, and add the chopped carrots, celery and onion. Cook on high for a minute, stirring everything around with a wooden spoon, until the veggies are a bit browned and most of the liquid has cooked off — but don't let anything burn.
- Now pour in about half of the stock and cook for another minute over high heat, while scraping all those toasty bits (called fond) away from the bottom of the pan with your wooden spoon.
- Now pour the contents of the roasting pan into a large saucepan along with the remaining stock. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about one third.
- Now pour the liquid through a mesh strainer. For a finer strain you can line the strainer with cheesecloth, but you don't have to. Let it sit for a couple of minutes so that you can skim off any fat that rises to the top.
- By now your roast will have finished resting and will be ready to carve. Serve each portion of meat with 1½ to 2 ounces of au jus sauce.