Chickpea Salad with Sautéed MushroomsThis tasty chickpea salad is delicious and satisfying without being too heavy. The sautéed mushrooms add an earthy flavor that really completes the dish.
To make this chickpea salad even more zesty, chop up some red onion and sauté it along with the mushrooms.
Note: Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas (sometimes called garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 4 medium white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp diced pimientos
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a bit of oil in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened completely and are substantially reduced in size.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and allow to cool fully. Give the cooked mushrooms a quick chop with your chef's knife — the pieces should be smaller than the chickpeas.
- Combine the chickpeas, mushrooms and pimientos in a glass bowl. Add the oil, vinegar and parsley, and toss gently until everything is evenly coated.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.