Roasted Beet Salad with FetaThis simple but elegant roasted beet salad features red and golden beets, mild feta cheese and baby greens tossed in a light dressing of olive oil and lemon juice.
Crumbled blue cheese can be substituted for the feta if you'd like a bit more tang.
Here are some more salad recipes to try:
- Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Chickpea Salad with Sautéed Mushrooms
- White Bean Salad with Artichoke Hearts
- Jicama and Corn Salad with Fresh Mint
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 bunch red beets
- 1 bunch golden beets
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup microgreens or baby greens, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Tear or cut the beet tops from the beets, leaving about an inch of stalk attached. Wash and thoroughly dry the beets.
- Place beets in a roasting pan or on a flat baking pan or sheet pan. Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Roast for 30-45 minutes, depending on size and the desired doneness. Test for doneness after about 30 minutes of cooking by piercing the largest beet with a knife. If the knife easily enters the beet with only a small amount of resistance, it's done. And the smaller ones will be, too.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes or so.
- Slip the skins off the beets by hand. They should slip off easily, but you can use a paring knife on any stubborn spots. Just be careful not to cut away too much beet.
- Cut the beets into ½-inch dice and toss in a stainless steel mixing bowl with enough olive oil to coat them.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of about half of it in to the bowl, gently stirring to combine and checking the flavor as you go.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt.
- Whisk together 3 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp lemon juice and toss the greens in this dressing in a separate bowl.
- Spoon the beet mixture onto the center of a salad plate and top each portion with about 1 Tbsp of crumbled feta cheese and about ¼ cup of the dressed greens. Serve right away.