Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Blue cheese dressing is one of the most popular mayonnaise-based salad dressings, and it's super-easy to make. It's fantastic on a chilled wedge of iceberg lettuce, and it makes a great dip, too.
Pretty much any blue cheese will work for this recipe — including Maytag, Gorgonzola, Stilton or Roquefort. Aged blue cheese is more dry and crumbly than young blue cheese, and younger blue cheese is softer and has a more potent flavor and aroma. So experiment to see what you like. But it's pretty standard to use the more crumbly kind for making blue cheese dressing.
This blue cheese dressing can be mixed up in about a minute with store-bought mayonnaise. But if you're really feeling adventurous, you could try making your own mayonnaise.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ lb crumbled blue cheese
- ¼-½ cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a glass bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cheese.
- Adjust thickness by stirring in some of the cream. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Chill.
- Store unused portion in the refrigerator, where it should keep for a day or two.