Cream of Vegetable Soup
This cream of vegetable soup is warm and satisfying, perfect for lunch or dinner during the colder months. It's thickened by the natural starch from the carrots, turnips and potatoes, and we add just a bit of hot cream right before we serve it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 large celery stalks
- ½ medium turnip
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ½ cup chopped leek (white part)
- 1 medium Russet (or other starchy) potato
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 qt vegetable broth or stock
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cream, hot
Cut carrots, celery and turnip into (roughly) same-sized pieces, about ½ inch to 1 inch thick. Don't worry about precision — the soup is going to be puréed anyway. We just want the pieces to be of uniform size so that they cook evenly.
- Peel the potato and cut it into pieces about the same size as the other vegetables.
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the butter over a low-to-medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and veggies (but not the potato) and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent, stirring more or less continuously.
- Add the wine and cook for another minute or two or until the wine seems to have reduced by about half.
- Add the vegetable stock, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the potato. Simmer another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough that they can easily be pierced with a knife. Don't let them get mushy, though.
- Remove from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if necessary.
Tip: Use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.
- Return puréed soup to pot and bring to a simmer again, adding more broth or stock to adjust the thickness if necessary.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and white pepper. Stir the cup hot cream into the soup just before serving. Or, garnish each individual soup bowl with a dollop or swirl of hot cream.
Makes about 1½ quarts (6 8-oz. servings) of cream of vegetable soup.