Cream of Celery Soup RecipeThis classic cream of celery soup is beautifully aromatic. It makes a great first course, and served with a nice crusty bread it's a meal on its own.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb fresh celery
- 1 medium Russet (or other starchy) potato
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 qt vegetable, chicken or veal stock
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup hot cream
- Cut celery into (roughly) same-sized pieces, about ½ inch to 1 inch thick, depending on diameter. Don't worry about precision — the soup is going to be puréed anyway. We just want the pieces to be of uniform size so that they cook evenly. Reserve about 2 Tbsp of celery, finely diced, for garnish.
- Peel the potato and cut it into pieces about the same size as the celery.
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the butter over low-to-medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent, stirring more or less continuously.
- Add the wine and cook for another minute or two or until the wine seems to have reduced by about half.
- Add the stock and the potato. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the celery and potatoes are soft enough that they can easily be pierced with a knife. Don't let them get mushy, though.
- While the soup is simmering, sauteé the finely diced celery in a little bit of butter, just until tender but so that they still have a slight crunch to them. Set aside.
- Remove the soup from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if necessary.
Tip: Use care when blending the hot soup as steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.
- Return puréed soup to pot and bring to a simmer again, adding more broth or stock to adjust the thickness if necessary.
- Stir the hot cream into the soup, and season to taste with Kosher salt and white pepper.
- Garnish with the diced sautéed celery and serve right away.
Note: The soup can be thickened with rice instead of potato. Just substitute about 1/3 cup of uncooked rice for the potato, and simmer the soup until the rice is soft.