Mashed Sweet PotatoesMashed sweet potatoes are a classic accompaniment for traditional holiday dishes like roasted turkey and chicken.
We use a little bit of cinnamon in this recipe, which gives it some warmth and festiveness. You can also add a tiny pinch of ground nutmeg or cloves for a bit more spice. But not both — and not too much.
You'll also notice that there are no marshmallows in this recipe. Repeat: No marshmallows! The natural sweet flavor of the potatoes, the complex spice notes and the rich, creamy butteryness are all this recipe needs.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ stick butter
- ½ cup cream
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pinch of ground cloves or ground nutmeg (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water (the water should taste salty, almost like seawater) to a boil over medium heat.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and cut them in half lengthwise, then cut each half into quarters. Each sweet potato should end up cut into eight pieces.
- When the water boils, add the cut sweet potatoes to the water and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes can easily be pierced with a knife.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and return to the pot. Add butter, cream and spices and mash lightly with a potato masher.
- Adjust seasoning with Kosher salt and serve right away. Makes 6-8 portions.