Lasagna Recipe with BechamelTo make this lasagna recipe, we use layers of béchamel sauce (a basic white sauce) rather than the usual ricotta cheese, making it rich and flavorful without being too heavy.
It also features "no-boil" lasagna noodles. These are a huge time-saver over ordinary lasagna noodles that you have to boil and drain. With the no-boil variety, you just assemble the lasagna with the uncooked noodles, seal it tight with foil and bake. As the sauce simmers, the noodles cook all on their own.
You'll need about a pint of béchamel to make this lasagna, so here's a recipe for a basic béchamel sauce.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 cups béchamel sauce
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6-8 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 28-oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 box "no-boil" lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
Making the red sauce:
3. Brown the ground beef and pork in a large skillet or heavy-bottomed saucepan. Drain excess fat (reserving 2 Tbsp for the next step), remove meat from pan and set aside.
4. Sauté onion and garlic in reserved fat for 10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
5. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, another 5 minutes or so.
6. Return meat to the pan and add the tomato sauce and dried herbs. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until everything is heated through. Remove the red sauce from heat and season to taste with Kosher salt and black pepper.
Assembling the lasagna:
7. Ladle enough red sauce to cover the bottom of a 3-qt ovenproof baking dish.
8. Arrange a layer of noodles atop the red sauce, then another layer of red sauce. Drizzle roughly one-third of the béchamel evenly atop the red sauce.
9. Repeat the previous step two more times — noodles, red sauce and béchamel — until you have three layers in place.
10. Spread the shredded mozzarella evenly atop the lasagna, then sprinkle on the grated parmesan.
11. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
12. Remove foil and bake for about 10 more minutes, or until the cheese on top has browned slightly.
13. Remove lasagna from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.Makes 6 generous servings.