Pesto is a fresh sauce made from basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, cheese and olive oil. This pesto sauce recipe is perfect for pasta and gnocchi.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and dried (about 1 large bunch)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients except the cheese in a food processor. Pulse until the pesto is blended into a slightly coarse paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cheese.
- To serve with pasta, you can toss the cooked pasta directly with the pesto. Or, if you want to thin out the pesto sauce a little, add a spoonful or two of the hot pasta water to the pesto, then toss with the cooked pasta and serve right away.
Makes 1 cup of Pesto (about 4 servings).