Buttermilk Dressing RecipeThis creamy buttermilk salad dressing is a delicious dressing for a fresh summer salad. Toss some cucumbers and ripe tomatoes in this vinaigrette for a quick and easy side dish. It's a great way to use any leftover buttermilk you might have bought for another recipe.
Since it includes olive oil, this buttermilk dressing is a true vinaigrette. You might also want to try this classic Ranch Dressing Recipe, which is also made with buttermilk but is a little bit different.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (well shaken)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mash the garlic and a pinch of Kosher salt together with a fork to form a paste.
- Add the vinegar and lemon juice and combine with the mashed garlic. Give the mixture a smush with the fork or with the tip of a wire whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine the the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, and then slowly whisk this mixture into the vinegar and other ingredients.
- Finally, whisk in the olive oil, drizzling it in slowly.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper, and additional Kosher salt if it needs it.