Sweet Corn Muffins RecipeThese sweet corn muffins are a little sweeter than regular corn muffins, and they're also lighter and more tender.
With ordinary cornbread, we use half flour and half corn meal. But for these sweet corn muffins, we use 1½ cups all-purpose flour and half a cup of corn meal.
Sweet corn muffins aren't traditional everywhere, but if you sometimes have a craving for a sweet corn muffin, this recipe is for you.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (195 grams)
- ½ cup corn meal
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter in the microwave for about a minute, until it's thoroughly melted. Or you can just melt it in a small pan over very low heat. Set the melted butter aside at room temperature to cool, but don't let it solidify again.
- Combine the milk and the melted butter. Then add the oil, and finally whisk in the beaten egg. (Combining the melted butter and milk first prevents the hot butter from cooking the egg.)
- Thoroughly grease and flour a muffin pan (or you can use paper muffin liners).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy. That's OK! It's extremely important not to overmix the batter, or the resulting muffins can be hard or misshapen.
TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other, the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter needs to be baked right away.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan (you can use a small ladle or even an ice-cream scoop) and transfer to the oven immediately.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.