Basic Waffles Recipe
This tried and true waffle recipe is perfect for brunch or other special occasions — even dessert! In fact, to make an amazing waffle dessert, try drizzling the waffles with crème anglaise
and fresh berries.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 5 waffles
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- ½ cup vegtable oil
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Pre-heat your waffle iron to its hottest setting. Placing a cookie-sheet under it can help catch any batter drippage during cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs thoroughly. Whisk in sugar, milk and oil.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Don't overmix!
- Spray both surfaces of your waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Ladle 4 to 6 oz (½ to ¾ cup) batter on the iron and close it. It's not unusual for a bit of batter to seep out of the edges of the iron. If there's excessive leakage, use less batter for the next waffle.
- Cook until the waffle iron's indicator light shows that cooking is complete, or until no more steam comes out. The finished waffle should be golden brown and crispy.
- Lift the waffle out of the iron with a pair of tongs and either serve right away or transfer it to the oven to keep warm.