Spinach Frittata Recipe with Bacon and CheddarA frittata is an Italian-style flat omelet that's baked in a skillet. This frittata recipe features spinach, bacon and cheddar cheese. It's perfect for holiday brunches or other special occasions — even dinner.
For this frittata recipe we cook everything in a cast-iron skillet because it can be heated on the stovetop and then transferred to the oven where the cooking is finished. But any other large skillet that is safe for both stovetop and oven should be fine. (See note below.)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ lb fresh spinach, rinsed, dried and torn into roughly 1-inch pieces
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. When bacon is crispy, remove it from the pan, drain on paper towels and set aside. When it's cool, roughly chop it into ¼ inch pieces — or just crumble it up.
- Reserve about 2 Tbsp of bacon fat, then add diced onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until it's slightly translucent.
- Turn off the heat under the pan, then add the spinach pieces and stir with a wooden spoon for a minute until the leaves are fully wilted.
- In a glass mixing bowl, thoroughly beat the eggs until nice and frothy. Add the milk and stir until combined. Season to taste with Kosher salt.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and sprinkle the bacon pieces in as well. Give everything a stir to distribute the ingredients evenly. This is the last time you're going to stir, so get it all out of your system now!
- Turn the heat under the skillet back on to about medium and cook for about 5 minutes or until the egg begins to set. No stirring!
- Add the grated cheese, sprinkling it evenly across the top, and then transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked.
NOTE: If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, you can pour the egg mixture into a baking dish and add the cooked onions, spinach and bacon as well as the grated cheese, and just bake the frittata in that dish. If you do it this way, add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time and check to make sure the egg is fully cooked before serving.