Holiday Eggnog RecipeThis simple, traditional eggnog recipe uses fresh eggs, half and half, bourbon, brandy and just a hint of ground nutmeg.
For safety reasons, it's a good idea to use pasteurized eggs for this recipe.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup plus another ¼ cup sugar
- 1 qt half and half
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup brandy
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Separate the eggs and collect the yolks in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer or a glass bowl.
- Using the mixer's whisk attachment or an electric beater, beat the egg yolks and ½ cup sugar until it's a light yellow color.
- Stir in the half and half, the bourbon, brandy and the nutmeg.
- Beat the egg whites plus the remaining ¼ cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk-cream mixture. Transfer to a refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.
- Ladle into cups, garnish with an additional dusting of ground nutmeg and serve.