Vegetable Soup Recipe
This easy vegetable soup is made with carrots, turnips, leeks, tomatoes and green beans. It's a nice, hearty vegetable soup recipe that I like to make with beef stock. But if you want to make a vegetarian version, just use vegetable stock
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 3 large celery stalks
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 leek
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh green beans
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 qt beef broth or stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Cut the carrots, celery, onion, turnip and tomatoes into about ½ inch dice. Trim the ends from the green beans and then chop them into ½-inch pieces also.
- Trim the stem and green part from the leek and discard. Slice the white part lengthwise and rinse out any dirt. Then chop the leek thinly.
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the olive oil over a low-to-medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent, stirring more or less continuously.
- Add the turnip, tomatoes and green beans and cook for another minute, still stirring.
- Add the wine and cook for another minute or two or until the wine seems to have reduced by about half.
- Add the beef stock and the bay leaf, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then add the fresh thyme and cook for another 5 minutes or until the turnip is soft but not mushy.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and white pepper and serve right away.
Makes about 1½ quarts (6 8-oz. servings) of vegetable soup.