Carne Asada RecipeThis recipe was inspired by About.com Barbecues & Grilling Guide Derrick Riches' carne asada recipe. I added the kiwi, the chipotle chiles and the grilled spring onions.
NOTE: Many people use the term spring onion as a synonym for green onions or scallions, but I'm specifying the spring onions with the little white onion bulbs at the ends. They're sometimes called cambray onions, or cebollitas in Latin American cuisine. If you can't find these, ordinary green onions will work. You could also substitute small white onions.
This recipe calls for beef skirt steak, but flank steak will also work.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 lbs beef skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat
- ½ cup tequila
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 spring onions (see note above)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Heat a griddle or wide, flat pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onions and garlic, turning occasionally with tongs, until the onions have browned on all sides but not burnt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the juices and the tequila in a glass mixing bowl. Mash the peeled kiwi fruit into the liquid.
- Add about three chipotle chiles along with three tablespoons of the adobo sauce from the can.
- Peel the garlic cloves, slice the onions and add both to the marinade.
- Add meat and marinate for 45 minutes, turning once.
- Remove meat from marinade, season generously with Kosher salt and grill over high heat for 15 minutes or until medium rare, turning once. Serve with tortillas, salsa and guacamole.