Corned Beef and Cabbage RecipeCorned beef and cabbage is incredibly easy to make. You can make it with a supermarket corned beef brisket, or you can have your butcher cure a corned beef brisket for you. But you can also cure your own corned beef.
This corned beef and cabbage recipe is made with white potatoes and carrots, but you can make it with any kind of root vegetables, like parsnips or turnips.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
- 1 3-lb cured corned brisket of beef
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp whole allspice
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 lb small white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Remove the brisket from the brine, rinse thoroughly and set the brisket fat-side down in a heavy pot or Dutch oven.
- Cover with cold water. Add the garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and simmer for about 2½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Now add the cabbage and simmer for 15 minutes more, or until the cabbage and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the corned beef and transfer it to a cutting board. Slice the corned beef against the grain and place the sliced meat in serving bowls along with the cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
- Finally, strain some of the cooking liquid to remove the whole spices (and the bay leaves), ladle some of the cooking liquid over the corned beef and cabbage and serve right away.