How to Make Corned BeefCuring your own corned beef at home is easier than you might think. It basically involves soaking a brisket of beef in a brine for several days. You're essentially pickling the meat. If you have a marinade injector (compare prices) you can pump some brine directly into the meat for even more flavor.
Be sure to check out the ingredients you'll need below.
- In a gallon of cold water, combine the Kosher salt, Prague powder and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Using a marinade injector, pump about 10 ounces of the brine into the beef brisket. Inject the brine at various locations evenly spaced around the brisket.
- Add the pickling spices, garlic, bay leaves and optional chili peppers to the remaining brine liquid.
- Transfer the brine into a shallow nonreactive (i.e. stainless steel or glass) container and then add the brisket. You can weigh it down with a dish to keep it submerged. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 5 days.
- When you're ready to cook your corned beef, check out this simple corned beef recipe.