Simple Syrup RecipeSimple syrup is a solution of equal parts (by weight) sugar and water. It can be used to sweeten and add moisture to cakes and other desserts. It's also handy for sweetening cold drinks like iced coffee and iced tea, since granulated sugar doesn't dissolve as well in a cold drinks as it does in hot.
There are also a slew of cocktails that use simple syrup, like the Old Fashioned and the Mojito.
This simple syrup recipe features lemon juice and orange juice, just to add some citrus tones, which might be nice for brushing onto the layers of a classic genoise cake. But if you're just using your simple syrup to sweeten drinks, feel free to leave out the citrus juice.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 quart filtered or distilled water
- ½ lb granulated sugar
- 2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3 medium oranges)
- 2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 medium lemons)
- Boil the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool the syrup.
- Add the lemon and orange juices, then chill the syrup.