Lemon Blueberry Scones RecipeHere's a recipe for lemon blueberry scones that are sweet, tangy and deliciously moist. Fresh blueberries are best, but frozen blueberries will work, too. Just be sure to defrost and dry them thoroughly.
Check out this step-by-step scones tutorial for more info.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt (table salt, not Kosher)
- 4 Tbsp butter (½ stick)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups blueberries (see note below)
- Zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1 Tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut butter into the flour until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat two eggs and stir in the cream. Then stir the egg-cream mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in blueberries and lemon zest.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and press it together into a single lump. If it doesn't hold together yet, add water (you could use milk, too, or more cream) a tablespoon at a time, until it does. Don't overwork the dough, though.
- Roll dough out to a thickness of 1 inch. Cut into rounds with fluted pastry cutter (or see variation below).
- Prepare your baking sheet pan by greasing it with butter or shortening or lining it with parchment paper. Or use a silicone baking mat, which is my favorite technique.
- Place scones on the baking sheet.
- Separate the third egg and beat the egg white. Then brush the tops of the scones with the egg white and lightly sprinkle with a bit more sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
Variation: For triangular scones, turn the dough out and separate it into two halves. Form each half into roughly circular shape, being careful not to overwork the dough. Then roll each half to to 1-inch thickness, and cut into wedges with a knife. Proceed with remaining steps as written.
NOTE: Fresh blueberries are best, but frozen blueberries will work, too. Just be sure to defrost and dry them thoroughly.