Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Blueberry muffins are the perfect accompaniment to a weekend or holiday brunch, and they make a wonderful breakfast all on their own. But the truth is that once these delicious blueberry muffins come out of the oven, you'll probably end up eating them all day long.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups blueberries, rinsed and carefully drained
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (260 grams), or 2¼ cups pastry flour, sifted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or 2 medium)
- 4 oz butter (½ stick) or shortening
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter in the microwave for about a minute, until it's thoroughly melted. Or you can just melt it in a small pan over very low heat. Set the melted butter aside at room temperature to cool, but don't let it solidify again.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add the milk and vanilla.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a muffin pan (or insert paper muffin liners).
- Pour a tiny bit of the melted butter into the egg-vanilla-milk mixture and stir it in. Repeat 3-4 more times, adding a slightly larger amount of the liquid butter each time until it is all incorporated.
IMPORTANT: Don't add hot melted butter to the egg mixture as the heat from the butter would cook the egg, and that's not what you want to do!
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy. That's OK! It's extremely important not to overmix the batter, or the resulting muffins will be too hard.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Then carefully spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan (you can use a small ladle or even an ice-cream scoop) and bake immediately.
TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other, the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter needs to be baked right away.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Makes 12 blueberry muffins.