If you watch any of those TV chef shows, you'll sometimes see people chopping onions by making horizontal cuts in the onion. A good number of cooking instructors teach this technique, which makes absolutely no sense.
For one thing, you are guaranteed to cut yourself badly chopping an onion this way. But the other thing is, these horizontal cuts are totally unnecessary. Find out how to chop an onion the easiest, quickest and safest way possible.
Here are some more resources related to knife skills:
- Knife Skills 101
- The Anatomy of a Chef's Knife
- How to Use a Chef's Knife
- Basic Knife Cuts & Shapes
- Knife Skills Photo Gallery
- Video: Sharpening Knives With a Whetstone