1. Food
Danilo Alfaro

Where to Buy Pasteurized Eggs

By September 18, 2008

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about the importance of using pasteurized eggs in culinary preparations like mayonnaise, Hollandaise sauce and Caesar salad dressings, and how you can make your own pasteurized eggs at home in the microwave.

If you're not up for that, a company called Davidson's Safest Choice sells pasteurized eggs through grocery store chains around the country. You can use their store locator to find a store near you that carries Davidson's pasteurized eggs.

Comments

September 19, 2008 at 11:30 am
(1) bertha p. says:

Better yet, fill out their survey on http://www.safeeggs.com and they will send you a bunch of coupons!

September 19, 2008 at 1:13 pm
(2) culinaryarts says:

That’s true! And if there’s not currently a retailer near you that carries their products, they’ll notify you when that changes.

December 16, 2008 at 11:25 pm
(3) Scott says:

Unfortunately, I’ve been checking up on them for years, and they’re still not sold anywhere in New York, or in any surrounding states.

December 16, 2008 at 11:51 pm
(4) culinaryarts says:

I know. They seem to cover a lot of places, but not everywhere. Which doesn’t mean you can’t still get them, you just have to hunt around some. Or, you can always pasteurize your own eggs in the microwave.

December 19, 2008 at 10:31 pm
(5) tj says:

i pasturize eggs everyday

November 13, 2009 at 9:27 am
(6) Lesley says:

I’m confused. On the USDA website it states that all consumable egg products are required by law to be pasteurized. Is this not true or did I misread?

November 13, 2009 at 9:35 am
(7) Lesley says:

I think I’ve un-befuddled myself. The law doesn’t apply to shell eggs.

December 23, 2009 at 11:02 pm
(8) Jordan says:

In regard to Lesley’s comment, “egg products” means products that are made with eggs but aren’t eggs–in other words, ‘Egg Beaters’ and other things you buy in any container that isn’t an egg shell.

April 15, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(9) Scott says:

Egg products are made commercially for foodservice companies. They’re not widely available at retail.

August 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm
(10) Karl says:

From what I read, salmonella is in the egg WHITES, not the yolks!!

December 7, 2010 at 11:04 am
(11) Avery Taylor says:

I buy the eggs mentioned and think they taste great. I love poached eggs, homemade ceaser dressing and I always lick the spatula when baking at home so they make sense for me. Plus I don’t really trust that I’m killing bacteria by getting to the percise temps when trying to “pasteurize” at home, but that is just me.

I’ve gotten some e-mails recently from Safest Choice because they have become available in New York and many other states, check out the store locator on their web site, safeeggs.com.

December 7, 2010 at 11:06 am
(12) Avery says:

Also, if salmonella is in the whites it is in the yolks too. That means the hen had salmonella and passed it on to the inside of the egg. Salmonella is increasing found on the inside of eggs but can still be found on the outside as well. Pastuerized shell eggs like Safest Choice remove bacteria from both inside and out.

March 20, 2013 at 8:07 am
(13) Daphne Hoffmeester says:

Please can you let me know Where i can find egg beaters in Cape Town, South Africa?

August 21, 2013 at 4:23 pm
(14) helene says:

I really just want a safe, over easy egg! I had the impression that I could buy whole pasteurized eggs.
Any chance of that?

October 1, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(15) Robert Knight says:

I live in Massachusetts and you can buy safest choice pasteurized eggs at Big Y Supermarket in Walpole MA. I bought them there last week. The Big Y store in Franklin MA should also have them.

January 7, 2014 at 9:08 am
(16) Former Farmer says:

Everyone understands why there is Salmonella present in the egg in the first place? An unhealthy hen.  And 99.9% of the time these unhealthy hens are found in commercial chicken operations where the hens are crammed in a space no bigger than a shoe box, and live there their entire lives there. No access to outdoors, no access to the natural foods they eat.  We pump them with drugs that force them to lay more eggs than usual, and also force them to stay alive, just long enough so that we can make our money back.  They are commodities just like anything else (including yourself).  And don’t kid yourself with organic eggs, or vegetarian fed.  Hens are omnivores, they eat bugs and insects.  They aren’t vegans.  We feed them a mixture of processed soy and corn (most doused with antibiotics), as this is how we can keep them alive for longer periods of time to fight off infection from these unhealthy conditions.  I know all this, as I use my family had a large commercial hatchery, and egg contract with various companies.  I never went into the family business, and eventually my parents could no longer sustain their consciousness with how they were making their living.  I’ve convinced my family to write a book about their experience to expose the fraud in this entire egg & pasteurization process.  If you want REAL eggs, and not have to worry about diseased hens laying bad eggs, it’s simple…. But PASTURE RAISED EGGS from a local farmer or farmers market.  You’ll never have to worry about any of this.  Pasteurization kills everything in the egg… The good and bad.  What you are left with is essentially nothing.  A product that is void of anything healthy.  And eggs are PLENTY healthy.  Forget the hype about cholesterol and the like.  Real Eggs are a benefit to any diet.  Excellent source of protein.  If you are not sure, do your own research, then decided.